Information about ear wax!
- Earwax is produced by glands in the ear canal.
- The purpose of earwax is to trap dust and other small particles and prevent them from damaging or infecting the eardrum.
- Normally, the wax falls out of the ear, along with any trapped dust or debris.
- Everyone makes ear wax, but the amount and type are genetically determined.
- Smaller ear canals make it difficult for wax to get out, leading to wax impaction.
- Impaction also occurs when wax gets pushed deep within the ear canal.
- Blockages affect about 6% of people and are one of the most common ear problems.
- The most common cause of wax impaction is the insertion of cotton swabs or other objects in to the ear.